Professional wedding planning tips + trends + what to do + especially what not to do

Professional wedding planning tips + trends + what to do + especially what not to do

Thursday, June 4, 2015

HOW TO: Change your last name after you're married

Step 1: Make a Copy of Your Marriage License
You’re going to need this to show proof that you’ve gotten married in order to change your last name.

Step 2: Social Security Card
The first step is to change your name on your social security card, which will help you in changing your name on everything else. Visit the Social Security Administration’s website and fill out an application for a name change. (Read more HERE).  You will use your marriage license in combination with the application to prove that you have gotten married.  

Step 3: Drivers Licenses & IDs
Once you receive your new social security card, you can take it (along with your marriage license) to the Department of Motor Vehicles and get your name formally changed on your driver’s license or your ID.

Step 4: Finances
You’re going to want to visit your bank pretty quickly after you receive that new identification with your new name. Your name must match on your ID and your bank accounts in order to access your money, so take your new ID or driver’s license, your new social security card and your marriage license to your bank. Ask them about the process of changing your name on your accounts and get that taken care of.

Step 5: Changing Your Name Everywhere Else
After following the first few steps, you will have all the new identification proof you need to change your name everywhere else.  Here's another list of everywhere else you may want to update your name:
  • Place of Employment
  • Local Post Office
  • Credit Card Companies
  • Utility Companies:  Cable, Phone, Internet, Gas, Water, Electric
  • Doctors Offices:  Primary Care, Dentist, Optometrist, Veterinarian, etc.
  • Insurance Providers:  Health, Vehicle, Home, Life, etc.
  • Schools:  Your alma mater & any kids' schools as well
  • Publication subscriptions:  magazines, newsletters, etc.
  • Anyone who would bill you for services (professional services)

It’s that easy – although the process usually takes a few weeks, you can get started on it early by filling out an application through the Social Security Administration before you leave for your honeymoon.

1 comment:

  1. Best work still continue your work and web page, We at Addhunters shifted this service to a level much higher than the broker concept. you can see more details like this article Property for sale Best in pearl