Professional wedding planning tips + trends + what to do + especially what not to do

Professional wedding planning tips + trends + what to do + especially what not to do

Thursday, April 2, 2015

8 tips from one insane entreprenuer to another

Well, it's Events by Autumn's second year anniversary!  I didn't even realize time had passed that quickly. I'm going to take this week's blog post to reflect on things I learned in my first two years of business.  Hopefully, when I look back, I can see how much I've grown, and I also hope this helps other entrepreneuers out there take the leap of faith to living their dream.  Here it goes:

1.  Sometimes no "backup plan" is the best plan.

In my first year of business, I also had a hefty part time job at the same time as the business was running.  Meaning, I didn't try very hard to get clients because I had a pretty steady income to fall back on.  I had clients, but they reached out to me - I didn't work to find them.  I knew if I wanted my business to be successful, it had to be my ONLY job.  So I moved back to MT with one contract under my belt, and only my own business to fall back on.  I had no "backup plan."  I needed to succeed.  And funny enough, that one contract fell through, and I had NO INCOME.  That really forced me to focus my efforts and do things I would have HATED doing in the past.  That being said, you have to be smart about your savings and honest about the things you can live without when times are tough.

2.  Network, network, network.

I HATE networking.  I'm not good at meeting new people for the first time.  But once that initial dreaded contact is over, I'm fine.  It's just that first awkward "hello" that I really despise.  BUT, you have to do it.  I started this association (www.bitterrootweddingassociation.com) in the valley to get wedding related businesses to work together.  I had to meet new people, talk to vendors about joining, and in turn, talk about my business.  When I was in Colorado, I didn't even receive phone calls from clients until May.  And here we are in April, and I've already achieved my goal number of bookings for my first year in business in this local market.  Nearly 100% of my bookings for this coming summer are referrals.  And those referrals sprung from meeting vendors from networking.  So just suck it up and do it.

3.  You'll find there's a whole lot more time, but you won't get more done.

Lately, I've been staying up until 2am to get custom graphic design projects done.  Or to do my website updates.  Or to file my taxes.  Or to do my billing paperwork.  Yeah, I wake up at 8:30am most days (which is FANTASTIC), but once I'm up, I'm focused.  Doing my social media posts, getting planning work done, designs completed, attending vendor meetings in town, etc.  It's a busy day!  Then next thing I know, it's 4pm, and I have to switch "hats" and become the accountant for my business.  (I'm not great at bookkeeping, so that takes a while.)  And then I look at the clock, and it's 10pm.  And I've hit a second wind and feel motivated to tackle another design project.  But all these projects are things I CHOOSE to do, and I LOVE to do, so it's easy to just keep working!  I'm realizing there will never be an end to the stuff you have to do for your business when you're the only one running the business.  So I constantly remind myself to take a break sometimes.  It's ok to take a day off, even if your brain is telling you to keep working.

4.  Make a freakin' marketing plan.

Without a plan, you're going to spend each day wasting time, just like you spent most days in corporate America on Facebook ;)  Just kidding.  We all know you worked hard at your last job.  But when you're on your own, there is so much more you're responsible for!  So make a marketing plan.  A GOOD ONE.  My marketing plan covers my daily social media posts (FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, blog posts, etc.), mission statement, financial goals and booking goals for the year, and more.  I made a marketing calendar that shows me what I should be doing every single day for the next year.  You may think that's overboard, but it helps me get into a rythym.  And when you have off days and you fall off the wagon, all you have to do it look at your awesome plan, and get your butt back on board.  Trust me.  Just make the plan.

5.  Find joy in small achievements

Set realistic goals for yourself.  When you achieve them, it will help you keep going when times are tough!   When my parents asked me "how much are you going to make this year?" and I explained that I've beat my booking goal for the year, they panicked when it wasn't nearly enough money to live off of.  But, my business plan was written based on my GOAL bookings and revenue, not on the number of weddings I needed to pay all my bills.  Yes, I still would need to pay bills, but that's what I've worked hard to save for!  You can't set unrealistic expectations year after year, and keep a positive attitude when you keep failing.  Sure, I'd love 20+ weddings in my first year of business, and to make enough money to eat out every day of the week, but that wasn't realistic.  I planned accordingly, so I could survive, and I'm making headway!  So that's something to be proud of.  Don't let others drag you down.  Focus on your small goals and keep moving forward.

6.  Make time for YOU.

I'll admit I'm not good at this.  I'm too focused on making this business a success that I don't get to the gym, or run, or ride horses.  I'm trying hard to set aside one or two days a week to take "off" so I can enjoy Montana!  Make sure through all this hard work, that you make time for YOU!  Typically, I'm putting in a 15 hour day, so taking one or two days off isn't a big deal.  It's NORMAL.  Keep reminding yourself of that.  You really are a lot more efficient when your brain can refresh itself anyways.

7.  Follow your gut instincts.

If you think you shouldn't take that client, and your gut is telling you so, DON'T TAKE THE CLIENT!  If you get a marketing offer and it just seems too good to be true, it might be.  Do your research!  Trust your gut in these first few years, and don't be sad to turn down business if it's not the right fit for you.  The more you make the "right" decisions, the longer you'll love what you're doing!

8.  Keep a diary.  Or a blog.

This year has NOT been easy.  But I wouldn't trade it for anything.  And my dad keeps saying "you'll look back on this and laugh!"  And I know I will.  But in the middle of starting your own business, you're stressed out, you're wondering if you'll ever "make" it, and you hope and pray that your clients will love you SO much that they NEVER stop talking about you.  This blog is my way of sharing these scary feelings with others, and hoping that other entrepreneuers out there can find hidden joy in this terrifying idea of running your own business!  Good luck to you all, and I can't wait to check in next year!

Founder of Events by Autumn, Autumn Kozimer

3 comments:

  1. Hi Autumn,

    I love your blog! So informative and fun! It really embodies your love for the industry.

    I have been planning conferences for the past seven years. After my company lost a few clients, I decided it was time to move on and explore the social event industry. I am currently temping at a catering hall, which holds many weddings throughout the year. Unfortunately, there is much monotony here. I realize I went in the wrong direction. I would love to land a job with a great event planning company, but I am unsure about what the best strategy would be for someone whose main experience is related to conferences.

    Do you have any tips on how to gain the attention of an event planning company? How do I stand out?

    Thank you for your time.

    Christina



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing, Christina! My first tip is to not be afraid to take ANY job with a big event planning company. Make it known during the interview that you have goals, and you want responsibility, but you're just looking to get your foot in the door and prove yourself to them. And then soak up everything they're telling you, and excel at your job! That's how I got started - I took a job in advertising, knowing that the company had an event planning team. One day the event planner walked off the job, and they offered me her position on the spot because they knew I wanted it! In fact, I never shut up about how much I wanted it. But at the same time, I showed them in my advertising job that I was skilled, focused, creative, etc. - all the skills I would have needed for the event planning job. So make a goal, and never lose focus.

      And to get your foot in the door, your resume has to stand out more than the next person's - so focus your resume on the skills which would make you a great event planner. Although your background is in planning conferences, that means you have experience in creating fun menus, tackling some challenging room sets, building efficient timelines, etc. I always made a video portfolio on a DVD and stuck it into the resume envelope. It showed off my skill set, paired with music & images that embodied what I was saying I was good at. The DVD idea got me some great jobs! They'd play it during the interview and "ooooh and aaaaaah!" I wish you the best of luck, and again, thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete